Finding your Joy at Work
When organizing your workspace ask yourself what type of work do you do in this space? Is this your primary work area? What is your vision for this space? Here are 20 tips to help you tidy up at work and create a work area that truly sparks joy!
- Gather all items into “like” categories to see the volume of each category you possess ie take inventory of how much stationery you have at your desk, pens, paper, highlighters, cue cards.
- For items you use every day keep on the desk, items used a few times a week/month inside the desk.
- Purge/declutter anything you don’t need or have too much of. Discard old manuals, memos, emails (don’t forget digital decluttering as well)
- Have a home for everything on your desk and in your desk.
- Prioritize your work flow by having a dedicated space for “hot” items and only keep relevant files on your desk top.
- Review files you keep in your desk. Do you need a paper copy or can they be scanned?
- Don’t let things pile up – once a week review what has moved into your space.
- A clear desk does not mean you are not busy nor does a cluttered desk mean you are very busy.
- It’s okay to add a few personal items that spark joy for you (3 personal items). Too many mementos can be distracting.
- Headphones and a privacy screen for an open office environment are very useful.
- Move your phone to your dominant side to avoid reaching across your body
- Keep a clear space on your dominant side for writing, signing contracts etc.
- Your monitor should be in front of you at eye-level and about 17-inches from your body.
- Control your inbox. Turn off your notifications if they are disruptive
- Organize your computer desk top too – declutter any unnecessary apps and files.
- Focus on one task at a time. We try to multitask but it is usually cognitively impossible.
- If something takes less than 15 minutes do it now. The sooner you complete a task the sooner you can get it off your desk so it will stop distracting you!
- Bin or recycle anything you don’t need as soon you determine you don’t need it.
- Tie up loose cables, a jumble of wires looks disorganized and can be distracting. Also, any electronics not required put them away.
- Create a charging station that is always ready when you need it.
Less physical clutter results in less mental clutter which can reduce your stress and make you feel happier and more productive at work.
Tidy up your space and make room for new ideas to thrive!